How to Find the Right Device for You
With new devices released almost every day, there are a wide variety of options for consumers, which also means there’s the “perfect” device to fit your unique needs. If you’re a senior or have disabilities, check out AccessWireless.org to find the best wireless device and service for your needs. To help you identify the right device, here’s a list of questions:
- What devices are available from the wireless service provider?
- Not all devices may be available on every single provider’s network, so what are your options from this particular provider?
- What do you want to “do” with the device?
- Are you looking for a feature phone, smartphone, phablet or tablet?
- How much does the device cost?
- Does the price differ if you sign a term contract?
- Does the device require a specific service plan?
- Does this device offer security features to protect against theft and viruses?
- What’s preloaded on the device?
- If you’re buying a device for a child, do you want to limit the number of people they can call or Internet access with parental controls?
- What does the device, or your operator, provide for parental controls?
- Can you restrict texting or data usage, third party billing?
- Do you want to switch service providers and use your current device or do you want a new device?
- If you want to keep your current device, is it compatible with your new service provider’s network? Due to technological differences, the device may not be fully operational on a different network. If it is compatible and you’ve fulfilled your contract terms, your previous provider may be able to “unlock” it so you may take it to your new provider.
- Where do you plan to use the device? Do you plan to travel internationally?
- Due to different technologies, your device may not work outside of your provider’s service area. Check with your service provider if you plan to go abroad.