CTIA’s mid-year 2012 Indices report is now available and provides users with a comprehensive look at the state of the U.S. wireless industry from 1985 through June 2012.
Capturing data from companies serving 97 percent of all estimated wireless subscribers, it is a comprehensive overview of wireless in America. Few other reports have the historical perspective and consistency that the CTIA Indices report offers.
Some of the highlights of CTIA’s latest report (as of June 2012):
Subscribers and Active Devices:
- Wireless subscriber connections: 321.7 million (101 percent penetration), up 5 percent from June 2011.
- Active smartphones and wireless-enabled PDAs: 130.8 million, up 37 percent from June 2011.
- Number of active data-capable devices: 300.4 million, up 8 percent from June 2011.
- Wireless-enabled tablets, laptops and modems: 21.6 million; June 2011: 15.2 million (42 percent increase).
- Wireless network data traffic: 1.16 trillion megabytes; June 2011: 568 billion megabytes (104 percent increase).
- Minutes of Use (MOU): 2.321 trillion, up 3 percent from June 2011.
- SMS sent and received: 2.273 trillion, up 3 percent from June 2011
- MMS sent and received: 58.3 billion, up 10.6 percent from June 2011.
The CTIA Wireless Industry Indices report provides a comprehensive review of the survey results over time, including total service revenues and wireless data service revenues. Among current and historical industry trends analyzed are subscriber usage (calls, minutes of use, messaging and total data traffic volumes), incremental capital investment and subscriber-to-employee ratios. The report draws upon additional sources to include wireless subscribership by state and by other "economic areas." Special sections on prepaid and wireless data services are provided. The report also includes selected comparisons between wireless and wireline services.
The CTIA Wireless Industry Indices report is available for purchase at the CTIA Research eStore.